ILR Show Division Fleece Committee Minutes - March 16, 2009
<< Back

ILR Show Division

March 16, 2009

Conference Call Meeting      March 16, 2009, 7 pm EST 

Committee Members  - Val Carmichael, Lynda Carothers, Betty Moe, Mary Jo Miller, Fran Soukup - Chair, Pamela Tait - Secretary

Meeting was called to order at 7:05 pm EST.  All committee members present.

Minutes from February 16th meeting - Motion to approve by Val; Lynda seconded motion. Motion passed unanimously.

Lynda reported on the budget that there were no additions and the budget for the fleece committee looked good as is. 

Email Contacts
The committee received several emails from members since the last meeting. These emails have all been responded to by Fran, and the ILR SD has received some further emails from these members expressing their elation at having been responded to so promptly.

Mission Statement & Responsibilities
Committee had already approved the committee’s Mission Statement and Responsibilities statement by email, but wanted to add to Responsibilities: ”Fleece educational material for exhibitors, general public and judges”. Motion by Betty to approve, second by Pam, motion passed unanimously.


Fran and Mary Jo reported on their first runs with the fleece scoring cards. Mary Jo had used all of the score cards with the exception of Coat On. Fran had used the score cards at a farm visit that she did at Kristy Brown’s. There was some discussion on uniformity in length (variations in re-growth). Also discussed was the benefit of being able to pull a lock from the side of the llama during the Fleece On judging in order to be able to judge Tensile Strength, Fineness, and Guard Hair. The pulled lock also made it easier to show the exhibitor what was being judged.  Pam also commented that she had done a trial run with the ILR scorecards for shorn fleece and found them much easier to use than the previous scorecards she had been exposed to, as the ILR scorecards are more specific as to what is being judged. All in all, the scorecards were a ‘hit’.

Committee discussed approving the Group Classes rules, and a motion was made by Pam to approve them. Discussion resulted in the committee recommending that we need further discussion on the specific criteria that fleece judges will be judging for the fleece get and produce classes. Motion to approve was withdrawn by Pam. Fran will contact the fleece judges regarding what specifically will be judged in Group Classes, and the Rules may or may not need to be adjusted to reflect this.  The chair will request this item be dropped as an agenda item for the Governing Board meeting.

Committee discussed the changes which were made to the Fleece Products score cards, entry cards and rules. Motion to approve was made by Betty, 2nd by Mary Jo. Motion passed unanimously.

Committee went over the proposed FAQ and made some comments and suggestions. It was decided that we will need FAQ for both show management and for exhibitors/members, even though some questions will overlap. Pam will submit final fleece show management FAQ to committee for approval and then start on the exhibitor/member FAQ list.

Fran is working on consolidating the show management guide

Mary Jo reported that she is continuing research on this. We will need to see what the other committees are doing on this so that we can be consistent.


Committee discussed our procedure for the requests for grandfathering fleece judges as ILR fleece judges, as there have been several requests to be grandfathered in. The procedure will be:

Request to be grandfathered in goes to the judges committee, and they will review the request and decide whether they will then present the request to the fleece committee for input. At that time, Fran will interview the applicant over the phone, looking at their fleece experience, processes and definitions with a consistent set of questions. She will then send her recommendation back to the judges committee for their final approval.

Fran would like to see a clinic for all ILR fleece judges in the near future to go over consistency in terminology and judging approaches.


It was noted that more alpaca fleece judges are needed.  At this time, priority will not be given to the development of alpaca fleece judging rules and criteria.  Education will come first.

The annual ILR meeting is scheduled for June 30th, 2009, in Kalispell, Montana. All ILR members are welcome and encouraged to attend.

Next conference call meeting will be Wednesday, April 1st, 2009, at 8 pm EST.

Val made a motion to adjourn the meeting; Betty seconded motion. Motion passed unanimously, and the meeting was adjourned at approximately 8:40 EST.

Minutes submitted by Pamela Tait, ILR Fleece Committee secretary.