ILR Show Division Fleece Committee Minutes - January 20, 2011
<< Back

ILR Show Division

January 20, 2011

Conference Call Meeting – January 10, 2011, 7 pm EST


Committee Members Present:          Mary Jo Miller
                                                            Betty Moe
                                                            Fran Soukup – Chair
                                                            Pamela Tait – Secretar
                                                            New Member – Rawna Hamann

Absent:                                               Judy Ross



Meeting was called to order at 8:10 pm EST. 5 out of 6 committee members were present.


Minutes from November 15, 2010, meeting – approved by email and sent to office for posting. 


Introductions of Members

New committee member, Rawna Hamann, was welcomed to the committee, and the introduction and short bio of each member was made.

Election of Officers

Fran nominated Pam Tait for Chair. Betty seconded and a voice vote was made. Unanimous – Pam was selected as Chairperson of the Fleece Committee for 2011. There was discussion regarding all the work Fran as the leader has done to move the committee along. A verbal thank you to Fran for all of her hard work was given by all members.

Pam then nominated Fran for secretary. Rawna also volunteered for the position. A voice vote was taken with a 3/1 vote for Rawna as the new secretary.

Discussion of Goals for 2011

The goals for 2011 were decided and discussed as Education and the International Show

International Show: There was a discussion regarding upcoming shows and the reason for involvement in the shows. The purpose is to educate the public and fiber enthusiasts in conjunction with an already established livestock type event.


         Articles – submission of articles are a form of education – Rawna will compile information from industry publications, such as submission dates, format, interest, etc. We will also get some more additional articles on the website.

         Fleece Judges – attend club and association meetings, guest speakers at fiber guild meetings. Letters to associations suggesting requests to demonstrate at meetings.

         Develop guidelines of what to print and post for the superintendents of fleece shows; help with designing educational displays on lama fleece.

         Fran has an article coming up in Llama Life II.

         Betty has plans on working with another writer on an upcoming article coming out in Camelid Quarterly at some future date.

         Look into the Pacific NW llama Co-op for information or submission of articles.

Sub-Committee’s selected:

            Education – Rawna and Judy

            International Show – Pam and Fran

Fiber Guideline for New Class

Betty will submit the new, “Other” fleece product scorecard definitions to Pam to send to the committee for review. [Received after meeting: “This scorecard is intended to be used in two ways: First, as an additional, optional class for superintendents to offer for exhibitors showing miscellaneous items that do not ‘fit’ into the established fleece products classes (i.e. lead ropes, embroidery, etc); and second, to offer the superintendents an “Other/Misc” fleece products class which would include all of the items to be entered in (woven, knit, felted, etc), in lieu of offering each individual class.”] To be voted on by members via e-mail.

It was noted that these new definitions should be added to the updated Show Management Guide, when approved and the 2012 guidelines.

2011 Fleece Clinics

Mary Jo gave the committee an update on planned fleece clinics for 2011. There is one scheduled at Niki Kuklenski’s in Washington on July 7, 8, 9 & 10, [fleece on 7-8 & halter, performance, etc. on 9-10] and one at Barb Baker’s in Ohio April 29 through May 1. These clinics have been approved by the judges committee. Mary Jo and Judy are instructing at the Ohio clinic; instructor at the WA clinic is Mary Jo, with Rawna and Maryan Baker assisting.


Mary Jo will email an evaluation of fleece clinic participant’s form to committee members for approval.

There are currently 11 Fleece Apprentices and 8 Certified Fleece Judges.

Mary Jo expressed her gratefulness to Fran for the fantastic work with the Fleece Committee and for ‘working circles around all the other committees’.

It was discussed that we need to send an updated Show List and Clinic List to current apprentices. Pam will contact Beth Myers regarding this.

Items to be approved at the next meeting: the Show Management Guide revisions and any revisions to the fleece clinic participation evaluations.

Next Meeting: March 7, 2011, at 8:00 EST

Motion to adjourn was made by Betty; Fran seconded. All ayes, motion passed. 

Meeting adjourned at 9:29 pm EST.

Note: All motions approved by the Fleece Committee still need to be approved by the Governing Board before they go into effect.

Minutes submitted by Rawna Hamann, ILR Fleece Committee Secretary